Over the last decade, there has been a huge rise in popularity for outdoor sessions. Often times, studio sessions can even be seen as outdated. But, with cotemporary portraits, studio sessions can have a classic and timeless look that does not have to be old-fashioned. So how do you know which session is right for you and your family?
Outdoor sessions may be for you if…
- you love a natural and dreamy look.
- you are getting photographed with children. The kiddos can run and have fun and there are so many opportunities for them to interact with their environment.
- there is an area that is really significant to your family, outdoor session can be a great way to commemorate a special location.
Of course, there can also be a few drawbacks to having an outdoor session. The number one thing is going to be weather. It is possible your photoshoot may have to be rescheduled on a rainy day. You will also be spending a good amount of time out in the elements and will want to be prepared if it is really warm or cold.
Studio Sessionsmay be for you if….
- you love a classic and timeless look.
- you have are being photographed with a newborn.
- you can’t decide which outfits and plan to have more than two wardrobe changes.
- you like controlled environment with no rain or climate situations to worry about.
Really, I have a hard time thinking of a drawback to a studio session. The main thing that comes to mind, is if you have family (especially dads and children) who are reluctant to be photographed, the studio environment can seem a lot less “fun”. Toddlers who are shy can do much better in a natural environment because there is so much else to focus their attention.
Only you can decide which session is right for you and your family. With each of my clients, I take the time to go over this discuss the pros and cons of each with them in their consultation. But, you don’t alwayshave to choose. My sessions can often be set up so that both studio and outdoor images can be taken on the same day! Just know, whatever you decide, your beautiful images will be priceless and cherished by you no matter the location.